Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Playing catch-up....

I'm realizing that I'm a much better writer than designer. I journal and I jot, but I never find myself sketching anything. I can't draw worth a damn, but I can put together a pretty good paragraph. I've no one to get angry with except myself when a project goes awry. Add to the experience the self-taught software usage and it's quite humbling. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Revise, revise, revise.

A few quotes on writing -

"Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time...the wait is simply too long." --Leonard Bernstein

"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterward." --Robert Heinlein

"You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." --Ray Bradbury

"Writing gives you the illusion of control, and then you realize it's just an illusion, that people are going to bring their own stuff into it." --David Sedaris

"The way you define yourself as a writer is that you write every time you have a free minute. If you didn't behave that way you would never do anything." -- John Irving

"Learn as much by writing as by reading." --Lord Acton

2 Comments:

Blogger vane said...

Don't worry if you're not as good in design as you're in writing. I'm good in design but I'm not that talented in writing. I've learned that with patience, practice and persistence we can accomplish anything we want in life.

By the way, I like the second and last quote.

4/06/2006 9:24 PM  
Blogger Landloping Lady said...

I thought I was a better writer than designer, too. Now that we're halfway through the class, however, I realize I'm mediocre at both. In undergrad English I always got A's. Now, my writing is ripped to shreds. Like you said... humility.
I like your quotes, too.

4/08/2006 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home