Monday, May 29, 2006

What to do, what to do....

So here I am, out here alone in blogspace. How can I be alone when I'm one of hundreds of thousands? It's easy: my class is over and no one else is posting. If they are, they haven't updated their blogs in a long time. They were pretty quick to shake the dust of PBDS 601 from their feet and post their final blogs, some doing it even before the class ended. I wanted to take a little longer, to suss out some things.

To me, blogging was never about the grade, it was making a connection with people that I may not have already known. Isn't that the reason that people blog in the first place? We all have something to say, we just need a forum in which to say it.

During our final class, I bemoaned the fact that I could never figure out what to do with my blog. I didn't feel comfortable really ranting about class, work, or personal life. In my mind, I just don't have that much to complain about. I have opinions about politics, religion and the state of the union, but I don't feel a need to put them out there for public view. I also don't feel the need to turn someone's head with my opinion. I know there's people who agree and also disagree. Enough said.

But is it really enough? What if my opinion serves as the foundation of a movement, maybe of a new way of thinking? What if it changes the mind of one person? What if it opens some eyes and breaks some hearts? The power to disagree with an opinion is a valuable one. The power to listen, even larger. Maybe blogspace needs another cyberranter or pixel-peacemaker to keep the conversation going, to keep the messages spreading, to keep the energy going. The way we communicate, with all its vitriol and verve, is what makes us who we are.

Am I up to the challenge of making my blog something more? My summer will probably be spent trying to decide, since I've opted to take the summer off from school. Originally I had signed up for another class, but I think I need to get in touch with my inner equilibrium again. I'll also be starting a new job.....as a full-time writer. Have to take the time to adjust to getting paid for doing what I love. What a concept!

So feel free to continue on the ride......or not.

1 Comments:

Blogger mariela said...

I'm out here too, just not as often as I had planned, with summer class, etc. it has gotten busy, BUT, I plan on using my blog as a PHOTO blog, so check it out often to see my new work :)

7/05/2006 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home